In the Palace Hotel (1908) Architects Lener and Pompe used advanced concrete construction to create the first seven story building in Brussels. Since then, the Metro has been tunnelled on the south side. Our scheme uses rational steel and concrete construction, placed effectively in relation to the metro to complete the form of the hotel, linking its two existing wings with an impressive facade on the Boulevard du Jardin Botanique and extending the facade facing the Place Charles Rogier.
For economy and to minimise load on the new structure, the new facades are designed in curtain wall, matching the proportions and colour of the existing stone facades.
A new rooftop bar and restaurant with generous terraces looks out across the city, and is accessed directly by a public lift which is visible from Place Charles Rogier; it can also be accesed by hotel guests via the new lift adjacent to the existing ground floor reception area and an elegant glazed corridor across the existing roofs.